Born 1858 in Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire
- Aged 13, he went to Paris to study figure drawing with the artist Gustave Boulanger c.1871 – 1873
- Apprentice painter at Minton’s 1873 – 1878
- Decorator at Wedgwood 1878 – 1879
- Attended South Kensington School of Art, London having won a scholarship 1879 – 1881
- Freelance decorator for Wedgwood 1881 – 1883
- Emigrated permanently to the USA, firstly taking up a role as Art Director for D. Appleton, a publishing firm in New York 1883 – ?
- Produced a large quantity of Art Nouveau design posters and then later, book illustrations.
Louis died of a suspected heart attack at his home in Long Island in 1926